5: Antifreeze Is Sweet And Deadly
Cars and trucks no longer run on straight water to stay cool, and as such you’ve probably bought a jug of coolant at one time or another. Well, the antifreeze of today has a sweet taste to it which makes it deadly for animals that are attracted to a taste. Here is a story about a thirsty mouse “Upon opening the hood of a customer’s car, mechanic Val M. Smith was startled to see a mouse holding the upper radiator hose in a death grip. It was a death gripâthe mouse was dead. “Only thing we could figure was it had acquired a taste for the antifreeze leaking from the hose and died gripping the hose when drinking. Strangest thing I have seen!” – via Readers Digest.
So this should teach us that antifreeze is a deadly thing to have around the garage. When you do a radiator flush you don’t want to do it near animals or where the coolant can leak. Your dogs or cats could be killed from drinking even a little bit of the coolant, same for children.